Preserving Your Precious Jewelry.
Jewelry isn’t just about accessorizing – it’s a reflection of personal style and often carries sentimental value. Whether it’s a family heirloom, a cherished gift, or a self-purchase, keeping your jewelry pieces safe and well-preserved is essential to maintain their beauty and value. From delicate necklaces to sparkling gemstone rings, here’s a quick guide to some of the ways to keep and preserve jewelry in your home.
1. Sort and Organize: Begin by sorting your jewelry into categories based on type and material. This step not only helps you stay organized but also prevents pieces from tangling, scratching, or reacting with each other. Try to use compartmentalized storage solutions like jewelry boxes with dividers, trays, or hanging organizers for chains and necklaces to keep pieces separate and easily found.
2. Clean Before Storage: It’s crucial to clean your jewelry before putting it away. Oils, dirt, and residues can accumulate from daily wear and diminish the sparkle and quality of your pieces. Use a soft brush, mild dish soap, and lukewarm water to gently clean items like rings, earrings, and bracelets. For delicate gemstones, contact us so we can ensure the right procedures are followed, mountings are secure and your piece is properly protected.
3. Choose the Right Storage: The key to preserving your jewelry lies in choosing appropriate storage options. For silver pieces, anti-tarnish pouches or cloth can help prevent tarnishing. For necklaces and chains, hanging organizers can prevent tangles. Talk to us about a quality jewelry box with soft lining to protect pieces from scratches and dust. If possible, store jewelry in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight to prevent fading and deterioration.
4. Consider Special Care for Valuables: High-value or fragile items, such as diamond rings or antique pieces, may require extra precautions. Store them in individual cloth pouches or jewelry boxes to minimize contact with other pieces. Make sure you keep your jewelry in the most secure place in your home – or if you feel it necessary, in a secure offsite place (like a lockbox).
5. Regular Maintenance: Preservation isn’t a one-time thing. Try to make a habit of checking on your jewelry from time to time, to catch any signs of damage or wear. You can visually check for loose stones, clasps, or prongs that might need repair – but remember that we have specialized knowledge and equipment for this, so contact us if you are unsure.
We are here for all your jewelry needs, as always! We can advise, repair, clean and even custom alter your jewelry so it is always relevant to your lifestyle. Come on in and talk to us – let’s keep your beautiful jewelry collection in tip-top shape and where it should be – on you and wowing those who see it!
It’s also worth mentioning that, if you’re looking for something new this month (or for that sapphire September baby!), we’re just now receiving all the amazing pieces that we recently bought for the store at our large buying show that took place at the end of July. We have some amazing pieces here now and more on the way – come on in and let’s find something perfect! Hope to see you soon!